Pages

Saturday, November 7

Holiday denial...

Last year's baby...





Okay, okay... I refuse to acknowledge the existance of holiday paraphenalia popping up... everywhere. I even saw a house with Christmas lights... on November 6th! What the heck. I feel like walking around with my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears singing the Star Spangled Banner so I that can live in blissful denial that the holiday season is quickly, and I mean quickly tiptoeng up behind us.

Most of all, I want to resist the temptation to look forward to the 26th, so I can relax until next year's frenzy. I want to relax, enjoy, savor, capture every moment this season, especially with Jack & Darryl now.

My friend Ginger over at Weiner dog tricks made a great list,something alongthe lines of: things Ilike about the holidays & things that stress me out about the holidays. Then she proceeded to eliminate some of the things that weren't her favorite... and add to the list of things she loves. I highly suggest this approach, way above mine... So hear goes. I'm gonna start with things I love about the holidays...

Things I love about the holiday season
Watching How the Grinch stole Christmas & Elf & Charlie Brown Christmas. Elf always makes me giggle, even though I've seen it 100 times.
Ice skating at the Hotel Del (okay, I've never actually done this, but doesn't it sound like fun?)
Christmas Eve Chili Party, getting to see dear friends and family
Opening each little square on the advent calendar
Garland and stockings on the mantle
Decorating the Tree
Going to see A Christmas Carol
Cinnamon smelling pine cones for sale outside of Michael's
Reading the Christmas story in Luke
Singing Christmas carols

Ummm... I know there's more, I just can't think of them... I'll get back to you. Oh, baking Christmas cookies, of course...

As Darryl and I have started our family & holidays with a child I want to be intentional about the traditions we create and the messages behind them. What we do and why? Is it for real or for show? Kids see right through your words...

I want my child to believe me when I tell them...
that the birth Jesus really is the reason we have so much joy.
that the most important things in life can't be bought or seen.
that Christmas really is about what we have to contribute to each other.

I want to create traditions that are a joy, not a burden. That bind us together and that are the heart of what we believe to be true...

What about you? What are your favorite holiday traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment