Pages

Wednesday, January 30

31 Days of Scripture Art Journaling:: Day 10: Layering with Paper and Paint

So far I have given you some very basic techniques to get you going,
but I want to talk about content:
Why journal scripture?
Why not just your thoughts and whatever you want?
What's the big deal about scripture?



Of course you can journal whatever you want.  I hope you do!
But for my personal purposes, I know that scripture grows me and changes me.
It's a promise:

so is my word that goes out from my mouth: 
It will not return to me empty,
 but will accomplish what I desire and 
achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Isaiah 55:11

God's Word is living and active (!!!!)

It's living and growing.
It opens your heart and your eyes and reveals
 the TRUTH of who God REALLY is.
Not who I think he is, or who I've made Him to be in my mind,
but who he really is.

There is so much of the Bible that I don't understand.
I have so many questions. But God tells us to

 work out your salvation with fear and trembling,Philippians 2:12

God didn't give me his Word to sit on a shelf.
He gave it to me to LIVE in me.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly
Colossians 3:16

So art journaling scripture (any scripture)
scripture I love or scripture I don't understand,
is part of me working out my salvation
and allowing the Word of Christ to live in me.

I choose whatever scripture is on my mind,
either from church, or reading, or anything really.
Whatever I feel like God is trying to teach me
or whatever I want to hold onto and remind myself of.
I don't spend much time thinking about it,
I just choose one and start.

Okay, that's the why.
Here is the technique:

Day 10: Layering with Paper and Paint

When I create mixed media collage I usually alternate:
a layer of paper,
a layer of paint,
a layer of paper,
a layer of paint,
etc.
I start big and get smaller and smaller as I go.

Now that the your altered book/journal is prepped with paint and gesso
(See Day 9 for this)
Choose your verse and think about it as you journal.


1. Paper Big:
Apply big pieces of paper over the page with gel medium.
Try to do this without thinking. You can tear it or cut it.
Most of it will be covered up,
so don't worry about what it looks like.
Just get the page covered up.


2. Paint Big:
Squirt 2 colors of paint right on the page and mix it on the page.
Try using: a brayer, an old gift card, or my favorite: your fingers.




3. Paper Small:
Add smaller pieces of paper and more detail.
Cut out smaller shapes. Glue both parts of the cut out
shapes onto different parts of the page.




4. Paint Small:
Start adding smaller details, lines, and shapes with your paint.
Paint a few words from the scripture you want to use.




5. Outline with a permanent black marker
and a white marker to make the letters stand out.


Done.
Now go.
Link up your journal in the comment section.
I'd LOVE to see what you're up to!


Day 11: 101 Ways to Add Texture 
with What You Already Have

See all 31 Days

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love your colors too. Thanks for sharing your step by step layering process, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog. I am SO LOVING your scripture art series! Thanks for all the time you put into it. I will read and learn from every single bit! :)

    ReplyDelete